Solar panels are the best way to reduce and potentially eliminate your electric bill, add value to your home, and take back the power! If you have questions about whether or not a solar panel system is right for you, read below for the most frequently asked questions we receive from customers.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Call our Inter Faith Electric team at (661) 245-3224.
How Do Solar Panels Work?
How do solar panel systems harness the energy of the sun and convert it into power? Solar panels work by allowing photons (particles of light) to shake electrons free from atoms, which generates a flow of electricity.
Here’s a simple step-by-step look at how solar panels work:
- Sunlight shines down on the solar panels
- Photovoltaic (PV) cells located on your panels convert this sunlight into direct current (DC) electricity
- The DC electricity flows down to an inverter where it converts it into alternating current (AC) electricity
- The panel sends electricity to whatever it is you’re powering
If you’re interested in learning more about how solar panels work, give us a call at (661) 245-3224.
Can I Save Money With Solar Panels?
Yes! In California, when you’re paying a regular utility bill, electric companies often charge as much as $.21/kwh! When you switch to a solar panel system, you’ll pay as little as $.06/kwh – and that includes the cost of the panels themselves!
How Long Does it Take for Solar Panels to Pay for Themselves?
Depending on the tax credits and other discounts you take advantage of, it typically takes between 7-20 years to cover the initial cost of your solar panel system. However, after 20 years the average savings can be as dramatic as $20,000! And don’t forget about the huge value you’re adding to your property by installing solar panels.
Do Solar Panels Add Value to a Home?
A small solar panel system (around 3.1 kwh) adds an average of over $18,000 to the value of a medium-sized home in California. Adding larger solar panel systems to your property will only increase your home value. For example, installing 5 kwh of solar panels adds an average of almost $30,000 to your retail value.
Is it Better to Buy or Lease Solar Panels?
It’s always better to buy solar panels instead of leasing them. Here’s why:
- Save more money. Leasing panels can cost as much as $.18/kwh. Compare that to $.06/kwh when you own your own solar panels.
- Receive tax credits and rebates. When you lease panels, the leasing company gets all the tax breaks. Remember: the owner of the solar panels gets the tax credits!
- Avoid poor lease terms. Your solar panel lease payments might balloon after a year or two. When you buy panels, you can finance and lock in a low, guaranteed monthly payment.
- Add value to your home. Leasing panels does not add any value to your home and can be tricky to transfer over to new homeowners if ever you do decide to sell.
Don’t trust anyone who says you should lease solar panels for your home. They’re not looking out for your best interests.
Are There Solar Panel Financing Options?
It’s always recommended to buy solar panels instead of lease. Solar panel financing options will help you buy your solar panels!
At Inter Faith Electric & Solar, solar panel financing starts at 2.99% APR and a $0 down. Even if you have bad credit, you’ll have no trouble qualified for financing for solar panels.
How Long Does it Take to Install Solar Panels?
On average, it takes about 2 weeks to get your solar panel system installed and hooked into the electric grid. You will need an inspection from the city and approval from the utility company to bring your solar panel system online. Delays on their end can sometimes add an extra week or two.
How Do I Take Care of Solar Panels?
To keep your solar panel systems working properly, you need to clean them 2-3 times a year. Our trained technicians can take care of this maintenance for you. We’ll come out to your home and clean your solar panels for just $5 per panel.
Are there Solar Panel Scams to Watch Out for in California?
Unfortunately, yes. As the popularity and necessity of solar panels in Southern California rises, so do solar scams and dishonest sales tactics. To avoid solar scams in California, always check online reviews to verify the company beforehand and never start an installation without signing a contract.
Do You Offer Solar Panel Installation Near Me?
At Inter Faith Electric & Solar Installation, we install solar panels throughout Southern California and the San Fernando Valley. If you live in Bakersfield, Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, Riverside, San Bernardino and Kern County, we’d love to work with you!